ATL- Arts To Literacy is dedicated to developing independent filmmakers and providing them with a platform to expose their talents. As a people it was the elders that gathered the younger generations and told stories for entertainment and passed on historical events. We are now in a position to do the same through film.
- Each group will be responsible for creating a 5-8 minute short film/ music video about something that affects them in their community or in their life.
- Each group will write a synopsis, write a script, create a treatment to shoot the script, draw story boards, choose a Director, a sound operator, a camera person, a director of photography, and an editor.
- Each group of students will show their project to their friends, family and faculty at a red carpet event.
In accordance with the World Health Organizations definitions of Life Skills,
ATL film program participants will learn:
Critical thinking skills
- Analyzing peer and media influences
- Analyzing attitudes, values, social norms and beliefs and factors affecting these
- Identifying relevant information and information sources
- Self-esteem and confidence-building skills
- Self-awareness skills including awareness of rights, influences, values, attitudes, strengths and weaknesses
- Goal-setting skills
- Self-evaluation, self-assessment, and self-monitoring skills
Skills for managing stress
- Time management
- Positive thinking
- Relaxation techniques
Interpersonal communication skills
- Verbal and nonverbal communication
- Active listening
- Expressing feelings; giving feedback (without blaming) and receiving feedback
Negotiation and refusal skills
- Negotiation and conflict management
- Assertiveness skills
- Refusal skills
- Ability to listen to and understand another’s needs and circumstances and express that understanding
Cooperation and teamwork
- Expressing respect for others’ contributions and different styles
- Assessing one’s own abilities and contributing to the group
- Skills of influence and persuasion
- Networking and motivation skills
Learn more about our other fine ATL programs: